14 December 2006

day eleven

ORIGINALLY POSTED: 11 November, 2006 at 3:19 PM
i've had the studio space for 10 days. one thing i'm really bad at is realizing how far i've come; i always push forward, want to work harder, get more done. it's easy for me to forget to reflect. so that is what i'm doing now. in a little over a weeks time, i've:

  • move loads and loads of art supplies, paper, objects into the new space
  • set up an office/cleaned a bit
  • met my new neighbors [a potter]
  • set myself up for working [space heater, long underwear]
  • established a small system for writing in a sketchbook everytime i work
  • transfered super 8 film to digital video
  • shot some preliminary images of the environment


my intent is to keep this blog as a mean of constant evaulation and communication, but keep my journal/sketchbook in the studio as well to record thoughts as the creative process is unfolding. getting the film transfered was a huge step; my art is as much about the final product as it is about the tinkering with 30-year-old equipment and a nearly outdated film stock as anything. i love the play between the old and the new and working a super8 projector and a miniDV camera embodied that feeling. i guess all this creative and technological play really empowers me. i am glued to the past, driven by history, charmed by what is no longer and equally interested in the new, the hot, the current/future. it's somehow backwards working or working backwards. maybe its circular thinking, as cburnett stated.
either way, as soon as i saw the projected b/w film [even in its upside down_backwards_reversed imagery] my heart stops_____________there is something, something about film i can't explain, but it
moves me

No comments: